Your Experiences Elsewhere

Would you like to share your hernia-related experiences elsewhere? Were they as good as described by our patients’ blog on this web site or were they nighmares?

If so, please report what happened on this page. We will try to publish as many appropriate reports as possible on this web site.

Use this space to tell us of your own experiences with hernia problems elsewhere – i.e. NOT at the British Hernia Centre. We will NOT publish names, identify you, hospitals or other parties so please be frank.

Please note, we cannot respond to you personally from this page. For personal advice etc., please see the CONTACT US link and e-mail us from there.

Next: How to Contact Us

83 thoughts on “Your Experiences Elsewhere

1. AvatarJane W said:

I have a large bulging hernia which has resulted from having two abdominal surgeries in the past three months. Last week I had a reversal ostemy and now have another hernia beside the incision site. My surgeon wants to wait two months before she repairs the hernias to give my body time to heal. I am worried that the hernias will strangulate during the wait time, I was given no instructions on what to not do or what limitations I should be aware of. In fact the surgeon was very unconcerned. After doing my research, I am aware of how serious a hernia can be. Any advice is appreciated.

• AvatarThe British Hernia Centre said:

You are clearly quite unfortunate to have these hernias after each surgery for other things. Our web site gives general advice on avoiding making hernias ‘worse’. There is also much information on ‘strangulated hernia‘ that should prove helpful – and hopefully put your mind at rest. However, it is odd that your surgeon declined to advise you on what to do in your own case. It is very important that you have a dialogue with her and follow her advice. Only she knows your case in detail so you are in her hands.

We hope the hernia repairs mark the end of your problems.

2. AvatarKM said:

I discovered my inguinal hernia 5 years ago (A slight bulge, no pain or discomfort). I’m a keen cyclist and walker and after a month or two considered the mesh operation at a Dudley hospital successful. However, from the start I could always feel the presence of the mesh and when cycling it felt like I was doing so with a pamphlet in my pocket. Five years on the discomfort is increasing (although not yet disabling) just hope it doesn’t get worse. I’m beginning to wonder if mesh is such a good idea?

• AvatarThe British Hernia Centre said:

You should certainly not normally be expected to feel the mesh if employed as we recommend. In our experience of many tens of thousands of such procedures, this is not our normal outcome at all. There is no question whatsoever that the use of mesh to repair a hernia is by far the very best approach, enjoying the safest and most reliable results. Since we started publishing our results over two decades ago, just about every surgeon has switched to using mesh now to fix a hernia. Many, however, use the mesh in different ways, with varying results. That said, as is covered on this web site, there are benefits to specialisation and the use of mesh alone certainly certainly cannot be viewed as guaranteeing a good repair. In your case, you describe the discomfort as getting worse. Did you ever go back to the surgeon who did your repair? In any event, you should see a surgeon experienced in hernia repair for an opinion.

3. AvatarYvonne said:

I was diagnosed with a ventral hernia and at times in extreme pain. I have waited 2 months for an appointment with a surgeon only to find out that he refuses to do surgery on me. He says I have to lose all my excess body weight before he will do hernia surgery (120 pounds).. Some days I am in extreme pain, it hurts to cough, sneeze and even pick up my 21 mth old daughter. My mother just passed away from complications of a hernia so this really scares me. She had a strangulated bowel and ended up septic.

• AvatarThe British Hernia Centre said:

There are two issues here.

• A HERNIA is serious, potentially very serious and
      • Depending upon your build, your weight might classify you as ‘morbidly’ obese.

If you are in a ‘seriously overweight’ category then ANY kind of surgery poses an additional, possibly serious risk to you. Urgent weight loss (preferably under professional guidance) might be your most immediate step. In many cases, that also alleviates hernia symptoms to a degree. You need, at the same time to take great care to avoid ANY action that you know makes the hernia worse, ie get bigger or hurt.

4. AvatarDonald G said:

I was diagnosed with a hiatus hernia in 2013, following a year of tests I was told I need surgery, then my consultant changed his mind as he realised I was 65. He said he had a rule that he doesn, t carry out the operation on patients 65 or over. Despite taking Omeparazole I suffer regularly with reflux and belching and I have now been diagnosed with Zenkers Diverticulum. I have been sent to three different consultants, and each of them said, this is not an operation that they do, so I have to put up with the problems.

• AvatarThe British Hernia Centre said:

Very, very few surgeons specialise in hernia and even less do, or like to do Hiatus Hernia repairs which might explain the last three consultants you went to. The first one might simply know his own limitations. Needless to say, specialists such as ourselves have no problem whatsoever in repairing them on the grounds of your age. The Zenkers Diverticulum is also treatable surgically.

5. AvatarReginald W. said:

I have read some of the comments about hernias and consider myself very unfortunate in that my hernia occured when I was 4yrs old in 1940. This was a time when there was no NHS, and the Hospitals were overrun with WW2 casualties.

Nevertheless, my hernia which had become strangulated was dealt with by a surgical team and a hospital (London Road Hospital Stoke-on Trent) who were unstinting in their treatment of me and thanks to which and whomever they were I can ever be grateful for my survival to my present 80 years of age. I was only hours, possibly less, away from extinction. I have always wanted to thank them but never had the chance….

………………………………THIS IS MY SALUTATION

• AvatarThe British Hernia Centre said:

This has NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with this web site or its purpose, but it is SUCH a charming and delightful account it just had to be included in the blog. You seem a great guy, Reginald. We are extremely happy to see you ‘escaped extinction’ thanks to life-saving hernia surgery.

6. AvatarMaria P said:

I went to my GP in March 2014 complaining of pain around my tummy button and a small swelling could be felt. I had a severe cough at the time and the discomfort lasted almost a week. I found it uncomfortable to move for a few days. I was referred for a scan and a small hernia was diagnosed. Upon referral to the consultant I was advised to lose weight but offered nothing else. I have and am losing weight but the size of the hernia has increased. Sometimes after coughing I can feel uncomfortable and if I push against my stomach I can push it back in. It feels like pushing jelly or a jel filled cushion and makes me feel momentary queasy. Do I need to revisit my GP. I don’t like to make a fuss but I’m concerned that I wasn’t taken seriously . I’m 51 years old.

• AvatarThe British Hernia Centre said:

How sad. You do not say here what your weight/height or BMI is, but there does come a point where a morbidly obese patient invites serious risk in any kind of surgery that must be taken into account. However, hernias are serious – not least the small ones (see our page on strangulated hernia) – and no decision to put off a repair should be taken lightly. You may care to seek a second opinion from a specialist hernia centre.

7. AvatarKaren D said:

I have had a hiatus hernia from my late 20s (I’m now 44) I was rushed into hospital almost a year and half ago with suspected heart attack – turned out, it was my hiatus hernia.

I’ve been on numerous medicines for the acid however it has got to the stage almost every single day I am in extreme pain, the burning in my chest along with pain that radiates to my upper back and both shoulders and down both arms, I’ve had the camera test twice and am currently waiting on yet another camera test, honestly, I’m at my wits end with this, have never suffered as badly as I am and have been for over a year now. Would it be worthwhile trying to push for the repair operation?

I have never had a heart attack, but honestly that is exactly how it feels to me and leaves me feeling so unwell and so weak and it is frightening. I am sick of going to my gp as it has got to the stage where I feel he does not care after giving me the statement of “Well there is nothing more I can do for you” and that was only 4 days ago.

• AvatarThe British Hernia Centre said:

As you will see on our page on Hiatus Hernia, your symptoms are exactly as we describe. We hope the page has given you a good understudying on what is actually happening to cause these awful symptoms.

The page also covers the pathway we recommend for dealing with a hiatus hernia. If you have gone down that pathway as described, then yes – a repair is certainly to be seriously considered. See a specialist in Hiatus Hernia repair as soon as you can. Frankly, we question how you may have been advised to go so long as 22 years with this condition. Long-term acid burning of the oesophagus can lead to other, really serious conditions. Time to get to grips with this properly and without further delay.

8. AvatarMolly said:

Hello, I am writing this on behalf of my mother who has an incisional hernia due to previous operation where the surgeon perforated her bowel. She has a large bulge where her hernia is and suffers pain from it. Her surgeon recommends not having surgery on it as she will suffer from chronic pain post op as she has weak abdominal wall. He said he thinks ‘she should just continue wearing a hernia belt and live with it’.

My question is don’t they get larger and more complicated over time? And why does he not want to operate when he is this region’s top surgeon for hernia repairs. I’m just really confused and my mum is very depressed to say the least. Any advice? Should she get second opinion?

• AvatarThe British Hernia Centre said:

This BLOG is not really the place for general questions and enquiries. They should be addressed to
      experts@hernia.org

HOWEVER, as the questions asked are so commonly put to us, we will comment in this blog, this time.

The general answer is that Incisional hernias should be repaired as they only grow larger and, if untreated, are likely to lead to complications at some point. See the page here on Incisional Hernia.

The surgeon may be reluctant to operate due to other reasons, for example her fitness for surgery.

Incisional hernias can be operated by open or laparoscopic surgery quite successfully in competent hands. Your mother should seek a second opinion.

9. AvatarDianna K said:

I have just returned from Cuba where I had a Strangulated Hernia – I didn’t know I had one – the pain was rapid and acute. The repair was carried out within 3 hours of the initial diagnosis the procedure was the stitched version – my concern is that I find it difficult to swallow and then the food feels like its stuck just above where the outside stitches where will this subside in due course or should I see my GP again – he told me the wound site is lumpy and I have a blood clot at the site not sure what to do

• AvatarThe British Hernia Centre said:

You will have gathered that the best way to deal with a Strangulated hernia is to avoid getting one in the first place. Clearly, as luck has it, when problems occur they tend to happen at the WORST possible time. You were very lucky to be able to get help in time.

Sadly, it seems the emergency repair you obtained in Cuba might not have been quite the best. Whilst correcting any issues now might be more challenging, you must not ignore your symptoms. The blood clot might be a serous issue indeed on its own. Your GP must have advised on that. Consult a hernia specialist as soon as you can.

10. AvatarMazleen M said:

I lost my dad because of strangulated hernia yesterday he went through everything calmly

• AvatarThe British Hernia Centre said:

We are SO sorry to see this. Losing life to strangulated hernia is tragic.

If anybody has a hernia, to stop this happening, let us (or somebody else) see you BEFORE letting it get to this stage. You must never let a hernia strangulate. See the page on Strangulated Hernia.

11. AvatarKaren S said:

My dad has just had emergency surgery on a strangulsted hernia, I’ve been told he is doing fine. My worry is now having read about it is that this is really dangerous & it can happen again, I need to know what the prognosis is for this is it just a matter of time before it happens again & can kill him.

I don’t live near my dad & not sure what to do ?? Can someone please give me some advice as I am beyond worried.
    Many thanks

• AvatarThe British Hernia Centre said:

Please do not worry! The really serious danger was during the time up to the moment they repaired the strangulated hernia. If your concern now is of a recurrence of the hernia, the chances of recurrence are about the same as following any other hernia repair. That largely depends upon the technique that was used. You can see pages on this web site on both Recurrent and Strangulated hernias.

They said your dad is doing fine which means you have NO cause for worry. But if he or anybody has pain from any hernia, do not hesitate at all. Get it seen as a matter of priority. The very best way to deal with strangulated hernia is to AVOID it in the first place.

12. AvatarJoanna A said:

My mother actually passed away due to a strangulated hernia

• AvatarThe British Hernia Centre said:

We are SO sorry to read this kind of thing. We are very sorry for your loss, but if it convinces just one person not to ignore a hernia that could potentially strangulate, it will be an honour to her memory.

13. AvatarDavid M said:

In 2002 I underwent an Inguinal hernia repair on the NHS Swansea after waiting for almost 1 year for the operation.

There were complications during the open surgery which I was not informed of.

After the surgery I was in extreme pain and had a stay in hospital. Since then I have suffered numbness in my lower areas for many years – and here I am now the hernia has returned, but this time not only has the original returned I have another hernia on the opposite side.

I feel that the NHS made a total mess of the original hernia repair. Having lost confidence in the NHS I am reserching a private operation.

14. AvatarRo H said:

I’m so scared. I had severe pain and had gone to the emergency room where I was told I had a hernia. They kept me for a day and sent me home on no meds. I sought out a surgeon who said I didnt….2 months later it’s in my groin. I’m so terrified

• AvatarThe British Hernia Centre said:

What happened to you is all too common. First of all, it is a great shame your hernia was allowed to reach the stage where it could do this to you. But it is quite the norm for an emergency doctor, faced with a trapped or perhaps strangulated hernia to reduce it (meaning to manipulate it back in with his hands) and, with the pain gone, send you on your way. As you will have seen on our page on Strangulated Hernia, you really need to get it repaired properly at the very earliest opportunity. It could happen again at any time and is always a serious emergency.

Please do not be terrified. Just get it seen to as soon as possible and as well as possible, ideally by hernia specialists if you have any within reach of where you are.

• AvatarKaren F said:

Just after my 2nd daughter was born, I returned to the OB/GYN for follow up visits. A few days later, I was having increasing abdominal pain that became excruciating. I went to the ER and was diagnosed with a urinary tract infection (no imaging was taken).

Several days later, I returned to the ER and waited in agony as they took care of everyone before me although I told them this occurred after a cesarean surgery.

Finally a CT was taken, revealing a strangulated hernia with gangrene and I had to have emergency surgery with removal of several feet of intestine. I didn’t realize until later this was life-threatening. After surgery, recovery was very very slow, but I was able to recover and three years later had another heathy baby with no complications.

• AvatarThe British Hernia Centre said:

What a nightmare story! We are delighted that it had a happy ending, not least that you went on to have another baby three years later. Great news!

As you clearly realise, you describe a really close call. Strangulated hernias are as serious as it gets and really are extremely dangerous – clearly ‘life-threatening’ is an accurate description.

IF we accomplish nothing else, it will be enough to know that our advice saves lives. We hope everybody with a hernia, particularly if they are painful or small, takes heed. Its all there, clearly explained on our web page on Strangulated Hernia. If anybody would like our opinion or advice or to let us repair their hernia before it reaches that stage, our contact details are on the Contact Us page.

15. AvatarJennifer said:

Thank you for this page and preceding article. I have had four attacks of excruciating pain from hiatus hernia in recent weeks. I now realise this may be serious and my 5cm hiatus hernia may need attention. Phoning my GP tomorrow

• AvatarThe British Hernia Centre said:

That is great news. Even if people are unable or choose not to come to us, we are so happy that our web pages are helpful and especially that it encourages you to get these things seen to. In the right hands, corrective surgery for all these kinds of hernia can be life changing – for the better! There is no need to suffer.